Subchapter B: MUSIC (1107)
Section 1107: STATE MARCHING BAND CONTEST
- (a) CONTEST SCHEDULE.
- The State Marching Band Contest will be held on the following schedule:
(1) Odd Numbered Years: Conferences 5A, 3A and 1A.
(2) Even Numbered Years: Conferences 6A, 4A and 2A.
- (b) AREA CERTIFICATION TO STATE.
(1) Required Certification. Each band participating in the state marching band contest shall be certified by the Area Executive Committee.
(2) Rejection. The UIL Office may reject any band that has not complied with the rules and regulations governing region and area participation.
- (c) CONTEST RULES.
- All rules governing the region and area marching band contests, except herein noted, shall apply to the State Marching Band Contest.
- (d) ENTRY PROCEDURES.
- Entry procedures and related fees shall be established by the UIL. Bands certified to the State Marching Band Contest shall inform the UIL of their intent to participate within 24 hours of receiving certification (or the Monday following a weekend contest) by completing the online entry process.
- (e) PERFORMANCE REGULATIONS.
- Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.
- (f) PRELIMINARY ROUND AND FINAL ROUND.
- Judging will be in two rounds: preliminary and final. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the State Director of Music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.
- (g) ADJUDICATION.
- For Conferences A, 2A, 3A and 4A the UIL Office shall assign five judges, consisting of three music judges and two visual judges. For conferences 5A and 6A the UIL office shall assign seven judges, consisting of four music judges, two visual judges, and one content/design judge.
- (h) RANKING.
- The final ranking in each round will be determined by adding the rankings of all five judges for each band.
- (i) AWARDS.
- Awards for the state marching band contest shall conform to those designated by the Policy Committee of the UIL Legislative Council.
- (j) BALLOONS PROHIBITED.
- The use of balloons by participants or spectators at the state marching band contest is prohibited.